The Research Center “Environmental remediation and recovery of degraded areas and contaminated sites” is based at the Department of Civil, Environmental, Architectural Engineering and Mathematics (DICATAM) .
The activity of the center is aimed at the analysis and testing of programmatic and design modules for the recovery of abandoned areas due to environmental degradation or pollution, in a logic of sustainable development and territorial planning of their reuse for production or residential purposes. For these purposes, for their disclosure scientific and cultural and for the involvement in them of the professional and entrepreneurial categories concerned, as well as the competent institutional and economic bodies, the Center makes use of its own structure and qualified multidisciplinary contributions.
The aims of the Center are:
- carry out a systematic work of bibliographic collection on the subject of environmental remediation and recovery of degraded areas and contaminated sites;
- study the problems that limit the remediation and recovery of degraded areas and contaminated sites in Italy;
- develop intervention methods that favor environmental remediation and recovery of degraded areas and contaminated sites;
- promote training initiatives for university staff;
- promote collaboration and scientific exchange initiatives with similar institutions in Italy and abroad;
- encourage cultural exchanges of students through internships at universities (or similar institutions) in Italy and abroad and vice versa;
- promote cultural and training initiatives, as well as targeted support to public administrations, as well as private entities, on the issues of environmental remediation and urban recovery of degraded areas and contaminated sites; carry out scientific and technical research activities in the areas of competence of the Center; carry out technical consultancy activities, in the areas of competence of the Center, to public and private subjects;
- carry out dissemination activities in the scientific community and civil society on the issues of interest of the Center.
Contact person: Prof. Mentore Vaccari