The interdepartmental research university center – MISTRAL – Integrated study models for the protection of health and prevention in the areas of life and work has administrative headquarters at the Department of Clinical and Experimental Sciences, but professors and researchers currently headed by the following departments of the University of Brescia, Department of Medical-Surgical Specialties, Radiological Sciences and Public Health, Department of Molecular and Translational Medicine, Department of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Territory, Environment and Mathematics, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Department of Information Engineering also participate in the activities of the Center.
The activity of the Center is developed according to the criteria of interdisciplinarity and has, as its main scientific purpose, the development of approaches, which, on rigorous methodological and technical-scientific bases, lead to the promotion, support and dissemination of studies and research aimed at to the improvement of the interaction between man, his work and his living environment, with particular reference to the territory in which the University of Brescia operates. The Center intends, in particular, to be a meeting point for the implementation of an integrated and multidisciplinary research, which has the fundamental purpose of contributing to the advancement of knowledge concerning the correct evaluation, estimation and management of physical, chemical and biological risks , ergonomic, psychosocial for the general and working population.
To this end, priority objectives will be:
- the advancement of knowledge related to biological effects (even early ones) induced by the various risk factors to which the general and working population is exposed, in order to be able to estimate any damage to health and to establish effective primary, secondary prevention strategies and tertiary and health promotion;
- the development and standardization of effective and innovative methods for the correct monitoring of living and working environments and for the health surveillance of those exposed to risk;
- the development of advanced technological tools (for example, planning, plant engineering, etc.), aimed at reducing risks in general and working populations;
- the best adaptation of regulatory instruments (national and supranational), aimed at a more effective and accurate surveillance of risks in the general and working populations.
Within the activities of the Center, for an improvement of the interaction between man, company and environment, in an integrated and multidisciplinary vision, the development of advanced products, such as:
- innovative technical-scientific methodologies in the field of the study of the physiopathogenesis of biological damage from various risk factors, useful for being able to provide reliable indicators of the health risk resulting from human exposure;
- tools and methods for implementing effective risk monitoring and health surveillance programs for exposed persons;
- strategies (health, planning and plant engineering, regulations) for the prevention, control and reduction of risk;
- patents – copyright – spin off.
The results will be useful, in particular, to individual, company, society, university, health professionals, their associations.
Contact: Prof. Giovanna Mazzoleni