The EFSD/Lilly EXPAND Programme aims to assess with dedicated research projects, potential strategies that could be implemented in Europe and rolled out in low-and middle income countries to favour the improvement of quality of care for all people living with diabetes. Research applications in collaboration with DAC countries will be considered.
The EFSD/Lilly Programme will accept applications within any area of clinical diabetes research with emphasis on:
- Prevention of diabetes mellitus
- Diagnosis/management of all forms of diabetes
- Diagnosis/management/prevention of diabetes-related microvascular complications
- Diagnosis/management/prevention of diabetes-related macrovascular complications
The overall goals are to achieve:
- Long-term sustainability of proposed interventions
- Optimal and long-lasting collaboration with the partner center in a developed country in the fields of health care, education and research
- Replicability of proposed projects in other hospitals/health care settings, in other regions/ countries
- Establishing a network of hospitals/health care settings based on the outcome
- Direct involvement and commitment of local health authorities (co-funding)
- Impact on the existing health care delivery education and research on local/regional/national level
Research will be supported through the award of grants, each of up to 150.000 Euro. The duration of each award may be one year or longer, depending upon the needs of the project and as justified in the application.
The deadline for receipt of research grant applications for funding this year is 2nd November 2023.