The Fritz Thyssen Foundation supports scholarly events, in particular national and international conferences with the aim of facilitating the discussion and analysis of specific scholarly questions as well as fostering cooperation and networking of scholars working in the same field or on interdisciplinary topics.
An application can be filed in the following areas of support:
- History, Language & Culture
- The interdisciplinary field “Image and Imagery”
- State, Economy and Society
- The interdisciplinary field “International Relations”
- Medicine and the Natural Sciences
Applications can generally only be accepted if they come from a university or a non-profit research institution. Applicants must have a doctoral degree.
The number of speakers should not exceed 30.
Congresses or larger conferences or sections within the framework of symposiums, annual conferences, etc., or purely doctoral workshops or summer schools cannot be supported.
The foundation generally does not accept any applications for projects if applications are being filed with other institutions at the same time to ease the burden on its experts assessing applications. An application that is refused by another institution can be filed with the foundation along with a note explaining why it was refused.
Financial resources can be applied for to cover:
- travel expenses (rail travel 2nd class, air travel economy class), broken down according to speakers,
- costs of accommodation and
- meal costs for active participants/speakers and
- to a limited extent, generally up to € 500, resources to defray incidental conference costs (printing of flyers and posters, conference support by student helpers or assistants, etc.).
The foundation generally does not provide subsidies for any fees (for example, for speakers).
Deadline for submission: February 28th, May 31st, August 31st, November 30th of each year.