The foundation has the following strategic research goals:
- Protect and restore the optic nerve
- Accurately detect glaucoma and monitor its progress
- Find the genes responsible for glaucoma
- Understand the intraocular pressure system and develop better treatments
- Determine the risk factors for glaucoma damage using systematic outcomes data.
The foundation annually accepts preliminary research Proposals for Shaffer Grant.
Shaffer Grants are 1-year grants awarded in the amount of $50,000.
Grant applicants must possess at least a graduate degree. Interdisciplinary teams and collaborations that may lead to new glaucoma treatments are encouraged.
Preliminary Research Proposals for Shaffer Grant consideration are accepted annually from June 1 to July 15.