The European Commission has been at the forefront of supporting research and coordination European and global research efforts, including preparedness for pandemics.
In addition to a number of past and ongoing research actions related to coronaviruses and outbreaks, the Commission launched several special actions in 2020.
- 6 March 2020 – 18 new research projects awarded €48.5 million
- 16 March 2020 – Commission offers financing to innovative vaccines company CureVac
- 20 March 2020 – EIC Accelerator call closes with over 1000 proposal addressing coronavirus
- 26 March 2020 – European Medicines Agency (EMA) publishes draft guidance on implications of Coronavirus disease on methodological aspects of ongoing clinical trials. The guidance is under a 4-week public consultation until 25 April 2020
- 27 March 2020 – Exscalate4CoV (E4C) invites collaboration to screen potential drugs
- 31 March 2020 – special call from Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) call with up to €90 million
- March 2020 – EU-Citizen.Science project offers access to initiatives that allow citizens to contribute directly to research on coronavirus
- March 2020 – EC launches “Fighting disinformation” page
- 4 June 2020 – New deadline for Horizon 2020 SC1-2020 calls for proposals
(including topics such as “Addressing low vaccine uptake”)
FONTE (European Commission)